Table of contents:
While we enjoy a lot of benefits in using PayMaya in our contactless payment, online shopping, and a lot more, we can do something new for our future.
We can invest in government retail treasury bonds (RTBs).
First, let’s learn more about RTBs. Retail Treasury Bonds (RTB) is a form of investment issued by the Philippine government. It is usually offered as a medium to long-term investment.
RTB’s are part of the program of the government to make securities available to small individual investors. It also allows you to invest your money with a very low risk of losing it.
Why invest in RTBs?
As mentioned above, investing in RTBs has very low risk so it’s a safe option for those who are just starting to learn more about investments.
Another reason to start investing in RTBs is that the government is making it easier for Filipinos to invest in retail treasury bonds. Recently, PayMaya Philippines has just announced its partnership with bonds.ph, a new online investment platform powered by the Philippine Digital Asset Exchange (PDAX).
With this, interested individuals can now invest in RTBs even without a bank account. All you need is a bonds.ph account and a PayMaya account to cash-in funds.
Once you have successfully invested in RTBs, you will earn an interest rate of 2.625%. But on top of these earnings, you will also be able to help fund various government projects with your investment which is a great way to participate in a digital bayanihan for the country.
How to invest buy RTB’s using PayMaya
Today until August 7, the government will be offering retail treasury bonds to individual investors from bonds.ph.
To start investing, just download the bonds.ph app and register. Once you have an account, you can fund your account using PayMaya by following these easy steps:
- Go to the “Cash In” section of the Bonds.ph app and select Pay with PayMaya. A minimal fee of P5.00 per transaction will apply.
- Choose the amount you want to invest in. The minimum order amount is P5,000.
- Once your account has been funded, choose the bond offering you want to invest in, review the transaction details, and click “Buy”.
- The subscription will have an “Awaiting Subscription” status until the final allocation is completed.
- To check the status of your investment, click the “My Orders” button in the Bonds.Ph app. An email will also be sent to you for the notice of the successful purchase of the Bond.
Remember, you need to be “verified” in the Bonds.ph app to be able to begin investing/buying the RTBs. Interested individual investors can invest anywhere from P5,000 to P50,000 in government RTBs.
If I invest in RTB’s, where does my investment go?
The proceeds will be allocated to the country’s emergency, recovery, and resiliency funds. The funds serve to finance its various expenditures focused on:
- Supporting sectors most affected by the COVID-19 pandemic (i.e., the unemployed, MSMEs, and the country’s healthcare system)
- Construction of Infrastructure projects
- Refinancing of existing debt
- Other national expenditures, focused more on the country’s efforts against the pandemic
When can I withdraw my investment?
Once the bonds have matured, you may also “exit” the funds through your PayMaya account. A nominal P5 fee per transaction using PayMaya applies.
You can use your PayMaya card to withdraw the funds through any Bancnet ATM – just make sure that your account is upgraded.